Sunday, May 22, 2011

Santa Margherita 2009 Pinot Grigio-Italian Wine Has Me On The Hunt

 
 


  Italy and wine go together like black and white/day and night, but it would seem that many of us just have no idea how complex and voluminous viticulture is there. Admittedly, I'm not the one to be talking about this subject (Newbie that I am), but as one who has discovered Primitivo (Zinfandel) and its delicious Italian character, I felt a NEED to understand Italy and Italian wine a little better, not withstanding my desire to begin exploring those wines. Foremost, is that in Italy, wine is food.
  In the beginning was price and value, most of us believe that value-wine is under $20.00; all five of the Primitivo wines were around $10.00, and that makes Zinfandel from Italy a good (QPR) value wine, but what of other Italian wines? Well, that's where I'm headed, as I explore Wines From Italy.
  Though I'll not be commenting solely on Italian wines, I thought I'd prepare readers of this blog for the inevitable posts on Italian wines with the above preface.



  You may remember my infatuation with Banfi 2009 San Angelo Pinot Grigio, $12.74, 93 points, but following or leading, depending on your point of view, is my latest inspiration for summer-time wine enjoyment, but most of you may know this wine, it is the number ONE imported Pinot Grigio wine requested in fine restaurants (W and S Mag. Apr. 2011): Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio (2009 is the Vintage I tried) seems available almost everywhere, is produced in Northern Italy's (Trentino-Alto Adige region).
  Santa Margherita 2009 Pinot Grigio, $19.99-$23.99, 92 points, is at the upper limits of value wine, but is worth the little extra money for the quality wine that you are purchasing.
  Light-lemon color, gentle citrus aroma, gentle citrus flavors throughout, an ironic smooth-crisp feel, but it is the lip-smacking, very long subtle spicy finish that impressed me the most.
  Pinot Grigio lovers and white wine lovers will be happy to be served this wine, especially on a hot afternoon, lunch or just as refreshment, early dinner or aperitif will be magnified and enhanced with this wine.


For an unending well of info on Italian Wines, see:Tuscan Vines.
Oh, he's not a fan of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio.
 
For wines bought in NH, and reviewed by NHWM, see:
Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2011 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger 

No comments:

Post a Comment