Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cantina Zaccagnini 2007 Monteplciano d' Abruzzo



Cantina Zaccagnini 2007 Monteplciano d' Abruzzo $16.14-$18.99 (I've seen it on-line for $11.99), 90 points.
Following the Brunello di Montalcino, I thought it wise to point out that this (Monteplciano) is a type of grape, and unlike the  Montalcino, which is a Place, the place for the Monteplciano is Abruzzo.
Now that I have that cleared-up, I want to point out to those who might buy this wine on my recommendation, that this is a wine of controversy akin to the Monte Antico Toscana Red Table Wine , but I'm on the other side of the argument this time, for I find this wine much more interesting.
The color is ruby-red to garnet, the aroma is a light perfume nutmeg, the texture is light-medium body with a very juicy quality, the flavor is a very pleasant black fruit with hints of chocolate, all on a bed of fair acidity and mild, but lasting tannin.
The story behind this Varietal is interesting, but too long for my venue: check it out here:
http://www.intowine.com/montepulciano-d%E2%80%99abruzzo-wonderful-red-wine-region-abruzzo

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2011 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reservedTemplate provided by Blogger 

3 comments:

  1. Anything scored in the nineties for under 20 bucks is a great buy in my book. Thanks for the review. will check out the story !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this wine! Unfortunately, it's not available in Kansas and I don't get my employee discount shopping at the competition in Missouri. Glad you enjoyed it. Have a sip for me next time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, and I liked it better the second day, but it went totally bust on the third.
    For those in NH looking at this wine, I also found it at Market Basket for $14.99.

    Ben, keep in mind that was my score, but at that price even an 86 is OK.
    Missing your company very much.

    ReplyDelete