Saturday, November 5, 2011

Spy Valley Marlborough 2010 Pinot Noir



Spy Valley Marlborough 2010 Pinot Noir, $20.99-$23.99, 89 points, is from New Zealand and thus is distinctive as you might expect; I have had highly regarded New Zealand Pinots before and was not that excited about them, though others are (I'm sure I'll find the one to knock-my-socks-off as we have so few available here), but let me just say that this one is very good.
The color is a deep vibrant red to purple, the aroma is a very toasty blackberry-grape with less spice than almost any other I've tried, the texture is the big pleasure plus, having a pure velvet-juicy quality I found most delightful, the flavor is a bit licorice and plum, and the finish is a weak mentioned fruit with a bit of cherry.
Keep in mind that this is 2010, and with all the newness, fruit, and early phase of this wine, it should evolve, but right now, other than the beautiful texture nothing very much stands out for me, not the tannin nor the acidity.


Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2011 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reservedTemplate provided by Blogger 

3 comments:

  1. What a trip - the company I work for distributes Spy Valley. Their Sauvignon Blanc is extremely popular. I like it, but the latest vintage was a bit too grassy for me.

    I generally find NZ Pinot Noir to be overpriced. Having said that, I think that this wine doesn't quite follow suit...but it's close, especially if you consider you can pick up a Cloudline from OR for close to the same, or the Hahn Pinot for WAY less. I guess I just don't find NZ Pinot Noir all that special, but that's me. (I do, however, really dig the Bordeaux blends from Hawkes Bay.)

    This wine got great press. Wine Spectator gave it a 92, & it won the Double Gold at the San Francisco International Wine Competition. That's actually a big deal, but a lot of people don't realize that because they pay more attention to Parker, Suckling, Tanzer, etc. Even with all of that, it's a hard sell. I think the wine is good, but I think it'll be even better in a year, maybe 2. Or hell, maybe even in 2 weeks. Wine is weird like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, what profound and relevant comments, I'm awed at you experience and the time you devoted to this comment.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you, but there's no need for awe. I happen to know the press off the top of my head, as it's kind of my job. That, & I'm a very fast typer. lol.

    ReplyDelete