Wednesday, August 14, 2013

CAPANNA 2008 Brunello Di Montalcino






CAPANNA 2008 Brunello Di Montalcino,  $45.82-$59.99, 94 points, has a dark crystal-clear ruby color, but with just a slight trending orange toward the broad clear rim.
Earthy red cherry with cedar and clove notes fashion a subtle though pleasant aroma.
A smooth medium body carries plenty of food-friendly acids, and a perfect backbone of tannin.
Flavors of dry bay-leaf and tobacco melt into the red cherry and pomegranate fruit which trails nicely into the long finish of black and white pepper with just a touch of heat (14.5% alcohol).
Though reminiscent of other CAPANNA Brunello wines, the 2008 has little to none of the Bourbon-like notes which I've become accustom to; this one seems, to me, to be a more "traditional" Brunello.

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2013 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger
 

2 comments:

  1. Dennis,

    I've started my tastings of 2008 Brunello for my report coming in early fall. Thus far, the wines seem very aromatic and very accessible. Also, much better than I would have thought.

    On another note, I just ordered some Mate - including the Brunello, Merlot and Merlot/Sangiovese blend. Can't wait to try those.

    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I think my son wouldn't mind if you adopted him:) He loves Brunello wines and Italian IGTs as well!
      I can't wait to read your reviews,
      Dennis

      Delete