Monday, March 19, 2012

14 Hands Hot To Trot Columbia Valley 2010 Red Blend Wine



14 Hands Hot To Trot Columbia Valley 2010 Red Wine, $8.99-$10.99, 87 points,(Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Mourvedre varietals)is a nice little sweet red wine; I'm sure there will be some poo-pooing it, but sweet is in, and though I'm not traditionally a sweet wine fan, I did enjoy this wine with burgers and by itself. So, Stefanie, if your up for a sweetly done effort of a red wine, I'm going to recommend this one. 
Hot To Trot has a beautiful crystalline ruby color, with a broad transparent rim.
The aroma is subtle sweet cooking spice and grape.
A light to medium body carries a sweet juicy blend of red raspberry jam, red cherry, and spice, with a minimal petrol after taste. This wine does not strike me as too acidic, though I found myself salivating. Noticeably tannic, Hot To Trot is yet quite drinkable, but there is a spicy kick of a finish.
Steve, their Merlot is said to be even better; now I understand why you recommended this to me, thanks,
Dennis


Index-of-reviewed-wines 
Copyright 2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reservedTemplate provided by Blogger

4 comments:

  1. No doubt Dennis. The Merlot is also easy drinking and fruit forward, but I consider it "wine". Hot to Trot is more, grapey than anything else. And honestly, I hate the name. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, how wonderful it is that you can horse-around without whining about it. I got the grape on the nose, and I find it weird that some find it weird when you get a grape-taste in wine as well.
      I'm still looking for the Merlot!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is rather odd that besides the occasional Beaujolais, "grape" is hardly ever found as a descriptor for wines. I wonder why that is?

      Do you know what the blend is on this one? Based on the appellation, I'm guessing Cab, Merlot and maybe some Syrah?

      Seems like I've had their Merlot, probably from my father-in-law, but it was before I was keeping track of wines on a blog.

      Delete
    3. Bill, predominantly Merlot, Syrah, and Cabernet Sauvignon with hints of Mourvedre and other select red varieties, and with all of that, to have the time and the money just to sit down with these and other varietals by themselves (i.e. Mourvedre) is a challenge; I've been collecting a number of less tasted varietals, but it's time, and starting to do this at 59 is probably insurmountable, but I'll lift one (glass) foot at a time, and sense for the first time the unique character of each of them as I can. When a person considers that Italy produces more than 30 varietals, one can be very humbled!

      Delete