Sunday, March 4, 2012

DIOGENES Bartlett Ranch Vineyard Lake County 2009 Sauvignon Blanc

Diogenes 2009 Sauvignon Blanc, $11.70-$16.25, 87 points, and bought at Hannaford's super market. Once again, if you know the wine shops and markets and you wait and buy a few bottles when they are on sale, you will save green-backs; in this case I saved $4.55. Right now the NHLS will discount 15% the purchase of twelve bottles or more of "Down-under" wines, and when you buy wines with an additional sale, like my purchase of the 2010 Penfolds Thomas Hyland Shiraz for $10.19, regularly priced $14.99, you save even more. Keep in mind that I'm buying my own wines and I'm not paid by anyone to mention these New Hampshire outlets, but I just want to share with you my efforts to save money on wine purchases, and if you have suggestions, then lets hear them. Canadian shoppers often tell me that these kinds of prices are much better than they can find in Canada.
Well, to the wine: Diogenes has a beautiful crystal-clear transparent golden color.
It has a lemon-grass, toasty wood, vanilla, and hints of caramel aroma.
While cold the texture seemed a bit thin, but became creamier as it warmed.
The aroma nicely carried over onto my palate, but there was a sour note almost bitter which was a bother. This was overall a nice wine which grew on me with a long ginger-pepper finish. I did not find any overdone grassiness, and would at $11.70 recommend this Sauv-Blanc.
For those who care about the décor, I found this bottle and the label to be very attractive and thought how nice it appeared on the dinner table.

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment