Saturday, May 12, 2012

Fattoria Del Cerro 2008 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (DOCG)


Fattoria Del Cerro 2008 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (DOCG),
$18.69-$21.99, 91 points, is just what the 'doctor' ordered for pizza.
Sharon who walks her dog Harley, this wine is for you! Yes, I recommended that you try Italian Sangiovese, (Chianti) and this is a very good one. Though the label doesn't say Sangiovese, at least 70% of it is. I know that I've told people that Montepulciano is a grape (It is that too), but the "di or DI" on the label tells you that it is from the city of Montepulciano in Tuscany.
The label also tells you that it is a "Nobile", which is a handed-down term referring to the vineyard's history of "Noble" ownership.
To the wine: The color is by now a familiar ruby garnet with a clear outer ring at the rim.
The aroma is a gentle array of sweet spice and red cherry.
A medium body carries food friendly acids (Making for some sensation of mouth-watering) and balanced tannin (That over steeped-tea feel in your mouth).
The flavor is a gentle floral blueberry and red cherry, with a fair finish of fruit and just a hint of spice. There is some sediment and could be decanted or just let stand for a couple of hours and pour gently.
This wine will complement your spaghetti or any meat and red sauce cuisine.
To be fair, I don't have any idea of how others liked this wine, except for my son Ethan who scored this wine 90 points, but let me just say that Fattoria Del Cerro Vino Nobile di Montepulciano suits my "plain-palate" perfectly (Everyone has a different palate).
Sharon, I doubt that this wine will over-whelm your dinner table, but rather complement it, the bottle is elegant, and since I paid only $18.69 for this great wine, I'd say it won't break the bank either.


Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger


6 comments:

  1. DT, you've been a busy boy tasting every Italian from your local suppliers. Appreciate your take on these wonderful little wines.

    Also, appreciate your "new look"-- it's definitely got NH all over it.

    Keeps the corks a poppin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SS, I may never get through all the Italian wines I bought at the NHLS 15% off sale.
      Thanks for visiting and commenting. BTW, if you've tried any of these wines I'm always looking for an alternative "take", so chime in when you're up to it.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I love the Italians as well as the French, the Californians, the Hugarians, the South Africans, etc. But you already know that...

      I will surely remark on the ones I have tasted-- lately I have been on a Barolo/Langhe quest.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I hear ya, I'll "love the one I'M (you're) with", whether from Spain or whatever.
      Barolo, what would recommend?

      Delete
  2. Oh, how I wish I had responded to this earlier!

    Barolo to drink depends on the philosophy of the winemaker-- are they making a more classically styled one made for extreme old aging or are they going for that more international style which might be approachable much earlier. A little bit of homework before the corks are popped does not hurt.

    Ms. R, our two not-so-little Sybarites-Hipsters-In-Training and I are going to Italy at the beginning of Summer. Piemonte is on our hit list. I will come back to you with some more informed suggestions.

    One thing I would suggest you look for are nebbiolos from Langhe-- not quite Barolo-- but many are quite nice and approachable in their youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SS, thanks for the advise and wish I was going with you!

      Delete