Friday, September 2, 2016

Banfi Castello San Angelo 2015 Pinot Grigio




Banfi Castello San Angelo 2015 Pinot Grigio, 
$13.59-$18.99. 92 points, poured a medium polished gold color trending water clear at the glass edge.
Aromatic honeysuckle, honeydew melon, and fresh-cut hay with hints of pine, vanilla, and mint were excellent.
The body was slightly over the light threshold, but crisp mouth-watering acidity with rich flavors of lime, kiwi, and fresh-cut grass, plus just a hint of vanilla made for an unusually complex Pinot Grigio.
Finished long on the trailing palate with tart citrus notes, a whisper of ginger, and a balanced 13% alcohol.
Paired perfectly with my Skipjack tuna salad.




Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2016 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger


 

6 comments:

  1. I say it every time. Much better wine than Santa Margherita. And cheaper. Why people buy that crap is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I agree with you except for the "crap' part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 92 points? Wow. And such a great price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VG: I've always been head-over-heels with this PG, and in keeping with my policy of being up-front with my sometimes pressing the limits of credulity, I don't think anyone else is as enamored with it as I am, except maybe John; I have an analogy: Big rich Cali Chardonnay (which I don't care for) and Chablis (which I love), but with PG (usually a rather nondescript white wine), Banfi is the Big PG which I love. I know: TMI.
      WS 89 pts.
      Considering you produce PG, I'd love to know some of your favorites.

      Delete
  4. John: if you are still following this: Vivino scores the Santa Margherita 2015 PG 87-89 points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For all others: Most of Italy's PG come from the North East's cooler climate, whereas Banfi produces their PG in Tuscany's warmer climate.

    ReplyDelete