Sunday, November 20, 2016

Accademia dei Racemi Anarkos Rosso 2011 Primitivo/Red Blend (Puglia IGP, Italy)




Accademia dei Racemi Anarkos Rosso 2011 Primitivo/Red Blend (Puglia IGP, Italy), $13.49-$14.99. 88 points.
Before I get into this wine, I want to take umbrage with the label; the clear identification with the Anarchy symbol was a complete turn-off, and if I hadn't been trying to buy Italian (supporting Italy during this difficult time), I would have and in the future will not buy a bottle that looks like this, but I doubt that the Anarkos Academy will give a hoot about my opinion.
To what's in the bottle: Varietals were Malvasia, Negroamaro, and Primitivo.
My umbrage aside, the wine was delicious.
Poured core black grading purple/red toward the thin clear wine ring, not typical for Primitivo, but then it wasn't really a Primitivo.
Aromas of iodine, a floral component, and brine were unusual, but okay.
Medium-plus body with fair acidity and a soft underlayment of tannin managed well the plum, rich blackberries, black licorice, and marjoram herb flavors.
Palate focused finish was comfortably accented by a typically restrained spiciness and the 13% alcohol.
Paired well with my artichoke and olive tomato sauce over spaghetti with buttered hot garlic bread.

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2016 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the producers of this wine are simply railing against Super-Tuscans and are ultra-pro the local grapes of Apulia.

    ReplyDelete