Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Rare Wine Thoughts!



  A number of conversations about 'cheap' wines, and the case of expensive wines being unduly stamped with high scores to lure unwary wine buyers, has caused me to make a couple of frivolous comments: Only you can tell whether a wine is good to you, I can't and either can anyone else tell you that. What I can say is that if wine is of an interest to you,  you need to, like a mountain climber, get out there and try, try, and try some more yourself. You shouldn't try climbing Mount Everest the first time, and you might not want to dip into a Two Hands Ares Shiraz first time out either; although the wine has a low probability of death. Once again, you will usually get what you pay for, "But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need".  This was the case for The Boarding Pass 2007 Shiraz (http://nhwineman.blogspot.com/2011/02/syrah-shiraz-899-vs-4999-vs-whatever.html) which was $8.99, the Ares was $149.00-$229.00 (Not tasted).
  Now for the 'experts' which I am not one, they have their own set of problems, one being that they need an income, they need to make money, like all of us, and they want to do this by influencing YOU; this can be a noble cause, or, like every human endeavor, can be tainted. No one can say!
With some, who'll never be in it for the money, it is comradely fun. So let's have a little cheer, share notes, and maybe get better at enjoying the wine we drink atop Mount Wine-not, and maybe, just maybe make friends along the way. I can think of many new friends like Claire, Bill, David, and others, many of whom are in the selling business, but who have wonderful personalities that make wine fun.
Index-of-reviewed-wines 
Copyright 2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reservedTemplate provided by Blogger 

7 comments:

  1. Well said, as always.

    I haven't written it up yet, but I went to a tasting last weekend where we had to evaluate 10 Pinots blind. (I knew the wines in the line-up, but I didn't know which order they were poured in.) Anyway, I picked the most expensive wine in the line-up as the $10 wine and I figured $10 wine to be in the $70 range. Blind tasting can be so humbling!

    That's why it's important to taste all you can and do your best to avoid falling for fancy labels, prices or ratings. Only you can decide which wines you like and what's worth it on your budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, you said it way better than I did, and you didn't waste anybody's time.
      Thanks for being apart of the New Hampshire wine experience, and that, all the way from Kansas; thank you too "social media."

      Delete
  2. As UGA wino says, blind-tasting is certainly humbling. It's ironic how often we buy into the 'higher-price/higher-quality' marketing ploy. And though the price is often justified, it's probably just as often unjustified.

    With that being said, I find it difficult sometimes to shop around in the 'cheap-wine' section, especially when I know the occasion is a special one.

    That's why I find it great that you do a blog like this Dennis, because you help us all find the diamonds in the rough.
    Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ben, I really didn't think anyone would read my silly essay, since other bloggers are masters at this sort of thing. If you want to get more information like this, or want to be challenged, and by writers who know how to write, I have some links you might enjoy while you pine-away or get bored in the arctic night; here are a few I follow:
      http://claireuncorked.blogspot.com/

      http://ugawino.blogspot.com/

      http://www.vinography.com/

      http://www.steveheimoff.com/

      http://blog.classof1855.com/

      If that doesn't keep you busy into the summer solstice, I've got more.
      Be good, and you are greatly missed,
      Dennis

      Delete
    2. Aw, you're makin' me blush. Thank you for your kind words. I figure if it can't be fun, why do it?

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for visiting and commenting. I see you carry the Chateau Bonnet, which I liked very much, and though I like to mostly taste a different bottle of wine every day, I did buy a few of bottles of their Merlot.

      Delete