Sunday, February 12, 2012

Ninety Plus Cellars McLaren Vale 2010 Shiraz


Ninety Plus Cellars McLaren Vale 2010 Shiraz, $9.99, 83 points, is a muddy black to purple wine with coffee notes on plum and a bit of diesel on the late palate. The aroma has just a hint of cooking spice on plum and a bit of pond-water. Having a full body doesn't save this wine, and being new and having a screw-cap doesn't warranty this Shiraz against faults, but my guess is that this is just another in a long line of poor Australian Shiraz wines that would cause, if not for Amon Ra, Mitolo, Two Hands and some others, me to forego them completely; If Miles were from down-under, these wines would have been his 'Merlot'.
The 14% alcohol is well integrated, and the finish has some truncated pepper, but they are not enough for me to buy another bottle. I bought this wine at Market Basket.
A final note: with some air this wine did slightly improve. Also, I get no pleasure in gainsaying this wine or any other wine, but when I plunk-down my money and come away with something I can only force myself to drink, I'm not a happy camper! If you have tasted this wine and disagree, feel free to kindly comment.






Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment