Monday, July 9, 2012

CAPANNA 2007 Brunello Di Montalcino

CAPANNA 2007 Brunello Di Montalcino, $47.66-$55.99, 95 points is a spanking-new wine having gestated for more than three years in its Slovenian oak womb.
Having reviewed the 2006 CAPANNA Brunello, I resisted referring to that review, and as I examined the 2007 Brunello's color I described it as Burgundy-ruby red with a broad transparent rim; turns-out that's the less flamboyant 2006 description, but I'm also using the
Plochere color system, and with that the 2007 Capanna matched with vermilion red on their chart, but I can assure you that's not the same color as the Vermilion Flycatcher!
Aromatic and beautiful this wine wafts dusty clove and cinnamon, with bright black fruit.
Having a medium body and carrying a lively acidity, this Brunello is made for food (try a tenderloin with this), but it is also a wonderful stand-alone wine, and though the tannin is yet gripping (mouth-tingling), I for one find that it adds richness and complexity that boldly makes the trek to its very long and persistent finish.
Flavors of black cherry, black currant, and blackberry are quilted with notes of licorice, tobacco, and coffee which trail to that very long finish, all-the-while gathering notes of menthol and chipotle along the way.
This wine is as good as any Brunello I've had, but keep in mind the hurdle presented by the 15% alcohol and powerful tannin. With prolonged air, subtle flavors of black olive and tardy tar notes became apparent, and I'd expect this wine to evolve for at least two days.


Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

3 comments:

  1. "having gestated for more than three years in its Slavoian oak womb".........

    And you talk about me??? :) Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only say nice things about you.
      Sometime ago I gave you a big shout-out on one of wine's biggest blogs, and I never said a word to you, but did you ever (4 or 5 months ago) notice a big mysterious spike from some blog? I can't remember which one now, but I might be able to dig it up if that interests you.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha... I was not complaining - just teasing, because you always talk about my prose, but that Sir, was some impressive dialogue. Since you brought it up, I don't recall seeing any spike from one blog. Sometimes it's hard to tell, but most of my traffic seems to come from Google (naturally) so maybe that's how they found it, after seeing whatever you said. Regardless, I appreciate it greatly, for sure.

    J

    ReplyDelete