Saturday, November 16, 2013

Ridge Lytton Springs 2011 Zinfandel





Ridge Lytton Springs 2011 Zinfandel, $30.26-$36.99, 92+ points, appeared black at the core trending shiraz purple/red toward a broad transparent rim.
Cedar, clove, wild blackberry, and alcohol (14.4%) on the nose wasn't as impressive as some other Ridge Zinfandels I've had, but still quite vibrant and more aromatic than most.
However, the velvet texture was impressive, smooth and near full bodied without being heavy, and having good acidity and persistent, yet fine tannin.
Sadly, this sophisticated red wine was marked by a slight glycerin (sweet syrup) note which was a bit distracting for me, but overall the juicy black fruit was lush and delicious.
Finished very long on hot spice and a touch of heat.
Still a high Q/P/R red wine.

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2013 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

5 comments:

  1. Just a kind of technical note: The 2007 had only 71% Zin. and was thus a "Red Wine". The 2011 has 82% Zin, and is thus considered a Zinfandel wine,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Vinogirl, some of the sweetness seemed to relent after breathing a while, but since I didn't wait to write my review, I'll stick with it. Upon rereading, I sensed that my negative tone may not have been sufficiently negated by my score (Which I know U hate numerical ratings), but this Ridge is way above standard Zinfandels, with texture and complexity leading the way!

      Delete
  3. Pagani is always my favorite. Brought a bunch back the last time I was out there. Can't wait to see your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, the last time I had the Pagani Ranch (2009) was almost 2 years ago, and yes, I loved it (93 points). I haven't seen the 2010 vintage, but yeah, as V-girl would say: I want!!!!

      Delete