Thursday, November 21, 2013

San Pedro 1865 Single Vineyard Maule Valley Chile 2007 Carménère




San Pedro 1865 Single Vineyard Maule Valley Chile 2007 Carménère, $18-$20, 90 points, appeared opaque and quite deep purple-red with a clear rim at the leggy glass wall.
Has a pleasant black cherry aroma with warm floral notes.
The medium-plus body carried mouth watering acidity with "untypical" ( Carménère "is supposed" to be more a soft Merlot-like red wine) intense tannin.
Rather one dimensional, but good flavors of cherry and red grape, marked by a bit of astringency faltered a bit, but the explosive, very long finish with cayenne, white pepper spice, and alcohol notes (14.5%) excelled. 
I bought this wine at the Londonderry Hannaford's Supermarket.



Index-of-reviewed-wines


Copyright 2010-2013 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger



 

2 comments:

  1. I bought a Carménère recently from the clearence bin at my local supermarket...it was cheap and fab...just can't remember what producer it came from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinogirl, I'll go with "fab." I think I have maybe 5 or 6 different bottles I've been trying to get to for at least three years now, but I think this wine is still on the ascendency, and far more vibrant, spicy, and tannic than I was lead to believe.

      Delete