Friday, November 22, 2013

Barbaresco, Barolo, and the Enigma of the Nebbiolo Grape Produced in Piedmont Italy







Barolo wines, just maybe the best known Nebbiolo product, are not real common on the shelves of New Hampshire wine boutiques. That won't stop me from tasting the few I can find and or afford!
The rather long article by Lettie Teague is an historic eye-opener, a massive commitment, but to me it's really the cost, age, and the availability of these mysterious "denizens of the deep" red wines that keeps them off the tables of the NH Hoi Polloi.
Another, more approachable web-site that covers specific Barolo wines which have been tasted, not to mention all things Italy, is Tuscan Vines; just type "Barolo" in the search box.
Salute!

Barbaresco



Ca' Rome Romano Marengo DOCG 2007 Barbaresco, $65.44-$76.99, 92+ points

Ca' Rome Romano Marengo Maria di Brun DOCG 2008 Barbaresco, $59.39-$83.99, 92+ points








Viberti Giovannni Langhe 2020 Nebbiolo (DOC), $17.64-$23.99, 90 points,

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2023 Dennis Tsiorbas, all rights reserved, Template provided by Google Blogger
 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Dennis. 2008s are definitely the way to go if you want an approachable Barolo and even then, I'd say relatively speaking. I like them old. I'm still cellaring 1996's, 1998's, 1999's. They take some getting used to, that's for sure, but they are unique and that's what makes them special and intriguing. Sandrone along with Scavino are simply some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I have as yet to see a 2008 Barolo, but Sunday I'll be making a trip to the new NHLS; I'll let you know!
    John, I can't think of a single person I know that is as prodigious and hard working as you are, thx for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.snooth.com/region/italy/piemonte/gattinara/

    another fine Italian wine!! Also available in New Hampshire!! Nice to meet you today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon: I went to the link you provided, and Snooth provided info on the 2001 vintage, and that's a great thing, but I haven't seen that one available in NH. though I have seen more recent vintages. However it would interest me if you would provide some details!
      Thx,
      Dennis

      Delete