Sunday, November 24, 2013

Flag Hill 2011 Marechal Foch Red Wine







Sadly my blind tasting of four New Hampshire Marechal Foch red wines didn't go well, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of heat for this, but I have to call them as I see them.

Flag Hill 2011 Marechal Foch Red Wine, $10.99-$12.99, 76 points, appeared dark cranberry red with a broad clear rim.
Profuse black grape with a hint of rubber on the nose wasn't pleasant, but chocolate notes were helpful.
Mild acid and tannin were supported by an astringent, rough, and tart body of cranberry and petrol notes that were juxtaposed to my Barolo from last night, and in comparison made Flag Hill MF almost undrinkable as were all the Marechal Foch red wines.
The trailing palate of the finish was saved by hints of tobacco and spice. The 11.6% alcohol was almost unnoticeable.

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2013 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

 

2 comments:

  1. I had a much better experience, strong tastes and smell but not offensive, like some god Mexican wines or Italians .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon: Everyone has their own palate (I understand that and advocate finding your own); I'm glad that you had a good experience; I really wished I did, but chances are that with these four MF wines I won't be going there again.

      Delete