Sunday, April 1, 2012

Clayhouse Paso Robles 2009 Sauvignon Blanc

 
 


Clayhouse Paso Robles 2009 Sauvignon Blanc, $13.99-$17.99, 88 points, is a wine that needs to temperature-mature, it needs to be tasted cold and then handled for a while as the warmer it gets the better it gets. I like my Sauv-Blancs cold, but what you get with the Clayhouse is a sipper of a white wine, a medium body, mineral-water clear, a nose full of lemon/lime, pink grapefruit, and kiwi, but there's a bit of mustiness which is not altogether bothersome. The flavor is the aroma, but there's a nuttiness and some tangerine with a hint of lichee, and the finish is a nice ginger spice.


I paired this Sauv-Blanc with a medley of seafood.
I was not blown-over by this wine, but I wasn't disappointed either.


Index-of-reviewed-wines
 
Copyright 2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

7 comments:

  1. So jealous that you guys get the whole Clayhouse line-up and all we get here is the red blend and white blend (not that I'm complaining about the Adobe Red!).

    What's that little sauce you've got on the plate there? Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, my son makes these up as is his whim, and I can't say that any two are the same.
      Ah, Paso Robles, there's just places I have an affinity for and that's one of them; I've had the Adobe Red, and that is a big QPR wine for me; I don't believe I've reviewed it though.
      I'm feeling just a bit better (Been sick for more a week) so I'm still trying to shake the Cobb-webs. All my life I didn't know how well a little wine helps clear your throat!
      Thanks for your interest,
      Dennis

      Delete
    2. You think you love dogs and cats? You've got to visit UGA Wino (Click on the link above)and fall in love with Willow and Olive!

      Delete
    3. So, one of these days, I'll get around to writing about our Paso trip. Really.

      I definitely prefer Clayhouse reds to their whites, but I have enjoyed their Sauv Blanc. Sadly, this winery doesn't get a whole lot of exposure here in MO. I remember when one distributor closed out their wine, I was able to pick up some Petite Sirah...& I haven't seen that available since. Now, they're buried in a huge book.

      Delete
    4. Claire, which book is that? I get the feeling this will be a 'duh' question!

      Delete
    5. Nope, not a "duh" question. The book I was referring to was the distributor's portfolio/catalog/whatever, which in this case is massive. I shudder to think of all of the great wine that gets ignored simply because it signed on with a big distributor. When I was in Paso, I was stunned at how many wineries were available in MO but never seen on a shelf or wine list. Tsk tsk...

      Delete
    6. Thanks Claire! These things are eye-openers.

      Delete