Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Castellare 2014 Chianti Classico





Castellare 2014 Chianti Classico, $17.84-$24.99, 89+ points, poured a bright cranberry red with a broad clear wine ring and leggy glass bowl.
The nose was a fruity strawberry, blueberry, and just a hint of chocolate.
Medium-bodied, mouth-watering acidity, and firm supportive tannin managed well the fruity flavors of the nose.
Finished long with a hint of spearmint, mild spices, anise, hints of oak, and the well-integrated 13.5% alcohol.
Just as a side note, I liked this wine better on the second day.






Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2016 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

 

3 comments:

  1. Every time you post a photo of the Castellare Chianti Classico I am reminded how much I like their labels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen too many 2014s yet. I suspect many of them will have Riserva fruit declassed into them and that many estates will drastically reduce yields and forgo bottling their premium cuvees. 2014 was bad. As bad as 1992 if not worse. Many producers I've spoken to told me there was "no summer". The majority of 2014 Rosso di Montalcino I tried at Benvenuto Brunello were not good. A few stood out, but they were not wines I'd be interested in buying. We'll see how things progress. Thanks for the data point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VG: The label is half of why I buy these! I will have another "Are wine labels going to the birds?" in the near future!

    John: I was conflicted with this one, being quite disappointed at first, but as one turned into two days I became much more fond of it: something I expressed in the review, otherwise it would have been 87 points!.
    Thanks, as always, for commenting.

    ReplyDelete