Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chateau Monbousquet 2009 Saint Emilion





Chateau Monbousquet 2009 Saint Emilion Grand Cru, $50.99-$64.99, 95 points, is a viscus ("Legs") dense red currant, toward a deep ruby color, with a transparent rim.
The bouquet is a plethora of cooking spice, fruit, and dare I say roses! Whatever you may find, it'll be lovely and aromatic.
A near full bodied wine with noticeable acidity and layers of tannin, this "Big Red' carries a bounty of plum, black currant, blueberry, and other dark fruits, with hints of dry herbs, mint, and coffee.
The finish is never-ending and trails spicy.
The varietals are 60% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, with 14% alcohol.
Just a quick note on drinking these wines very young: some will tell you to give this wine ten years to mature, and I bought a few of these so as to try them as they age, but since the reputed "tightness" of this wine was not bothersome (renders this wine even more promising) to me, and if layers of velvety tannin is something you view as a plus, then drinking this wine will be enjoyed now and for sometime to come.

Chateau Monbousquet 2009 Saint Emilion Revisited Nearly Three Years Later


Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

2 comments:

  1. D,

    I like Monbousquet - always got that coffee thing with that wine. And with 30% Cab Franc, I'm not surprised you found some flowers in there.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, thanks for the comment!
    I think (Therefore I am), lost track of reality just now. Oh, I remember, I believe that I'm always looking for "relative" value, and the wine that is often recommended, and I'm one of those who recommends, is the Hall Napa valley Cabernet Sauvignon; at the $50 price, the Monbousquet is right up there in value!

    ReplyDelete