Monday, December 2, 2013

Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Artemis 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon







Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Artemis 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, $33,65-$54.99, 90 points, appeared opaque trending dark ruby toward a nearly creamy purple/red up to the clear rim.
The reticent aroma of subtle red and black cherry needed considerable teasing.
Medium-plus body carried fair acid and moderate, but persistent and accelerating tannin.
More an easy drinking boysenberry flavor than big currant, but subtle licorice lead toward a more powerful finish of spice, tobacco, and eucalyptus, with just a hint of the well integrated 13.5% alcohol.
I can understand why some, with just a cursory tasting, would not be enamored with this less than fruity red wine, but with the delicious flavors, good texture, and complex finish, Artemis grew on me, and as where many other Cabernets would decline in my judgment while getting acquainted, this one increased with the time I spent drinking it (caveat emptor-WS-83 points).

Index-of-reviewed-wines
 
Copyright 2010-2013 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger


 

4 comments:

  1. I am constantly amazed at the little knick knacks that accompany your pictures. Do you have an endless cache, or do you buy these when you buy the wine? Stag's Leap isn't want it used to be IMO, but it's been a while since I've tried one of their wines. The FAY and SLV used to be great values at $30-$40, but I'm dating myself. As they approached $60-$75 I lost interest and it was at that time that the Cask 23 went well over $100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. trying to keep the pics interesting is a full time job :-)
    John, the 2007 Artemis was-is- excellent, and our friend from WE gave the 2009 (if I remember correctly) 94points-Cellaring Best buy! It is arguable whether a $34 90 point Cab is worth it! I wasn't disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you try it the next day? Just wondering as a few 2010s that I have had needed 24 hours to open up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the day after that, but the aroma never amounted to much, however the flavor was quite good for 2 more days, and with a Cali cab, that says volumes! Let me say, that even at $34 I'd recommend this wine!

      Delete