Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Banyan Monterey County 2011 Gewürztraminer

 
 


Banyan (Beautiful) Monterey County 2011 Gewürztraminer, $15.99, 91 points, was bought at Butter's in Concord, N.H.
The more I taste these Gewürztraminer wines the more I like them. This one is lightly lime tinted, with lemon zest and Lychee on the nose.
Having a medium body with plenty of acidity (bone-dry), this wine cut right though my soft-shelled lobster with butter like a hot knife . . .
The flavor paralleled the aroma nicely, but it was crisp yet creamy, which seems to be an oxymoron.
The finish was fair with just a hint of minerality and ginger.
For those who are not familiar with the term
soft-shell-lobster, click here.Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

2 comments:

  1. Dennis,

    Looks like you've been drinking a fair amount of Gewürztraminer lately--one of my favorite varietals! Must be my 1/2 German heritage.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Nick, as in all things wine I'm a newbie; when it comes to Gewürztraminer, very few of these can be found in NH, but one must start somewhere.
      What I do find interesting is just what a good value can be found in certain wines; when you can buy Eroica Riesling for about $16 (Comparable German Riesling maybe $30 or more), now that's value and quality. We all love that wine in my home.
      Since I usually drink a glass or two of wine with my evening meal I don't do too many blind tastings, but I'm hoping for some company to do a small Blind tasting with Riesling as our subject.
      Thanks for the "shout out",
      Dennis

      Delete