Friday, December 11, 2015

Frog's Leap "Estate" Rutherford 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon





Frog's Leap "Estate" Rutherford 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, $49.99-$54.99, 94 points, poured a crushed black currant purple/red with flashes of maroon toward the transparent wine ring and teary glass bowl.
This Cabernet might not wow the average Cab drinker, but it just might hypnotize with sheer provocatively piquant prowess; marked by aromatic dusty cedar, soft Arabica coffee notes, and fruity blackberries, this wine begins to mesmerize.
Frog's Leap Rutherford Cab just might lull you with its velvety full-bodied texture rather than muscle you with astringent tannins or hot alcohol levels, and just might please your palate with mouth-watering acidity, pinpoint flavors of bilberry, blackberry, truffle, anise, and a hint of mint.
Finished long on the delicious trailing palate and an innocuous 13.4% alcohol.
Varietals were 92% Cabernet Sauvignon and 8% Cabernet Franc.
Paired perfectly with my veggie pizza and spiced rubbed porterhouse steak.

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2015 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

7 comments:

  1. How does the 'estate' Cab compare next to the Napa Valley Cab?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VG, I haven't tried the 2012 Napa (yet), but if I had to guess, the alcohol will be a similar unobtrusively low, and a bit more herbal with a slightly less finesse. Just a guess based on three vintages already tasted.
      The 2012 Rutherford would be my number one choice, but a blind tasting might prove something.
      Frog's Leap winery is one of my GoToWineries!

      Delete
  2. The frog Napa Cabernet is a solid wine in that price "space". The wine above I have found to be too oaky and not worth the extra tariff. I've visited the winery twice though and they're nice people if my hippies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I didn't notice any oak notes at all! Which vintage(s) did you taste?

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I'm not sure I remember Dennis. Based on the last time I was there, I'd say either the 2009 or 2010.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, the 2012 is the first vintage totally sourced from their own estate. As I researched the "oak" notes, some have said nothing about it, and another said that the oak was lost in its fruit, but only tasting it will YOU know for sure!

      Delete
  4. And as I said, it's $65-$75 around these parts, so there's better value at that price point. BUt you are right.

    ReplyDelete