Thursday, December 8, 2016

Mayacamas Mt. Veeder 2014 Chardonnay





Mayacamas Mt. Veeder 2014 Chardonnay, $43.99-$54.99, 95 points, poured a lovely light gold color trailing quite clear toward the glass edge.
Aromatic citrus and flowers were excellent.
Just breaching the threshold of medium-bodied with good acidity set the stage for an ovation palate show.
Waves of flavors were crested with lemon zest on a warm stony depth with gentle nuanced tropical, pome, and other tree fruits.
Finished long on the lemon zest, tangerine, zinger ginger notes, and a more Cali typical, but restrained 14.1% alcohol.
Paired perfectly with my post-Thanksgiving day cuisine.
Though I don't pretend to be a wine expert (I trust no one has gotten that impression), and certainly not an expert on Chardonnay, I must say, for me, this one is just about as good as it gets.
I bought this Napa Valley white wine at the Whole Foods of Bedford.

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2016 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

5 comments:

  1. I tried this (several vintages ago), but it was sooooo oaky I couldn't take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VG: If you do taste this Chardonnay, let me know if you notice the oak, cause I didn't, not even any vanilla, but here's the wine makers notes: "After fermentation in a combination of neutral wood and stainless steel, the 2014 Chardonnay spent 12 months in barrique, less than 10% of which was new. The wine did not undergo malolactic fermentation."
      Antonio Galloni says: ". . .focused, energetic Chardonnay that hits all the right notes."
      I just now looked all this stuff up, but WS says 89 points; I'll stick with my rave review, and will buy another at the first opportunity, making this Chardonnay one of less than 3 of the same vintage Chardonnays I've bought more than once. I know: TMI!

      Delete
  2. VG: Following up, cause I need to know if I missed something:

    Nevin's review says: 2014 "not oaky." Where others have noted earlier vintages being over oaked as a problem; just maybe Mayacamas got it right, as you did.

    ReplyDelete