Friday, July 1, 2016

Ramey Napa Valley 2013 Claret




Ramey Napa Valley 2013 Claret, $34.99-$44.99, 91 points, poured a cloudy orange/red trending a soft grape-purple toward the broad clear rim and glass bowl of some sheeting.
Aromatic cedar, blueberry, loam notes, and black fruit were excellent.
The medium-plus body managed good acidity, silky sweet tannin, and delicious flavors which mirrored the aromas with hints of mint and licorice.
Finished well on the trailing palate, easy spice notes, and a balanced 14.5% alcohol.
Varietals were 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 34% Merlot, 4% 3% Syrah. Malbec, 2% Cabernet Franc, and 2% Petit Verdot.
Paired perfectly with my spiced rib-lamb chops.



Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2016 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

 

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I love this wine and it's a great value too. I talked to David Ramey about it once because it could easily be labeled Cabernet. (2009 or 2010 I think) He told me then that they were calling it Claret to keep options open for tweaking the blend depending upon the vintage and qualities of the fruit. Looks like that clearly happened in 2013 as you've noted above. Still, this is around your low price point here and when I see it, I buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A true Bordeaux blend, interesting that they called it Claret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TV: thanks for your comments.

    VG: I'm sorry, but somehow I missed the 3% Syrah.

    ReplyDelete