Thursday, June 18, 2015

Saddleback Cellars Napa Valley 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon





Saddleback Cellars Napa Valley 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, $32.29-$68.99, 89+ points, was the colors of crushed black currant trending dark ruby with a thin clear wine ring.
Aromas of sandalwood, flowers, and sea breezes defied the notion of a grape product.
Full-bodied with fair acidity and Merlot-like soft tannin managed a lush mouth-feel.
Good flavors of plum were more Merlot-like than Cab-like (JMO) as well, though heavier and rounder than most Merlots I'm familiar with, but hints of black currant mitigated that contradiction.
Finished fair on the trailing palate with easy pepper notes, red currant, truffle, and a well integrated 14.2% alcohol.
Paired well with my stir-fried spiced beef and vegetables.

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2015 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

2 comments:

  1. A ha! I have had this...found the fruit component a little 'stewed' .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's where I get the "plum" notes, which is more typical of Merlot rather than Cabernet! QPR isn't there for me!

      Delete